Tonight, I had the pleasure to spend some time with Fintan. He is small in stature, with sweet eyes that capture your attention. He loves Super Heroes, Toy Story, chocolate, and talking. When we were coloring today, Fin asked me to draw Optimus Primes' head. Naturally, like any decent babysitter would do- I said, "Sure." Yes, me the girl who lives with an art ed. major but is not one herself said yes to drawing something. The challenge began. He gave me the action figure and I was able to draw a sketch that sort of resembled the figure. Fin then colored in the head and was pleasantly satisfied. Next, Fin said, "can you add arms to it?" I did. Then Fin enthusaitically told me at least two times, "You are really good at drawing." How did this happen? I do not know since drawing is not my forte.
Later that night, as we were sitting around the dinner table enjoying meat loaf and mashed potatoes, Fin said, "Jillian, you are the best babysitter I have had."
I replied, "Thanks Fin."
Vivian, his older sister then responded, "Fin, you are just trying to be flattering."
Fins reply to that was, "How? I am not dressing classy."
Viv said, "No, you are trying to flatter with your words."
I jumped in while quietly laughing saying, "Fin, I appreciate the compliment. Though, it is true. You do like to flatter everyone."
The flattery then continued while doing the dishes. Fin proclaimed, "I think I am going to have Fin's Famous Fiesta and will invite one special person! So Jillian...do you want to come."
I of course answered back, "Sure, just let me know when it is."
Who wouldn't want to go to a five year old's fiesta (little did he know that tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo).
The night ended with hide and seek, ice cream, and some stories.
Fin will probably be a ladies man when he gets older. His eyes, compliments, and sweet laugh are hard to not make a person smile. I wanted to share this story because it made me think of some life lessons. First, little kids notice things and share them. Fin noticed that I was struggling to draw, so he encouraged me through that. Little kids also are creative and spontaneous. He wants to have a fiesta. I would never think to do this. Lastly, I think flattering people with compliments is a good thing (to a point of course). Lets be encouraging. Tell people we love them. And show love in a tangible way. This is my challenge to you and to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment