Some dreams were formed, others fulfilled, and a few put on hold.
Locals told me that Seattle draws people in from all around, who never want to leave.
I entered into this magnetic field. There is something about this place that gives me peace.
It could be the mountains and sea.
Neighborhoods that each have their own flair, but all have a sense of belonging.
Houseboats causing me to dream.
Being able to walk or take the bus to the places I want to go.
Murky fog layered above the city in the morning, which is interrupted by the bright sun in the afternoon, and comes back again at dusk.
Welcoming people.
One day, these could all become norms.
That day, however, is not today.
Many people know that I have an odd fascination for the city of Seattle. Even before I went there for the first time last year, I knew I wanted to live there. There is something about this city that I do not think I could explain unless you were in Seattle with me. I was blessed to be able to go back for a second time last month. I again had the desire to want to stay. I definitely am settled here in Minneapolis, but the idea of starting over is to some degree enticing. Making new friends is not the easiest thing a person can do, but a mentor of mine has told me, “there are good people everywhere.” That is why the idea of moving across the country is not the scariest thing to me. It would be somewhat lonely at first and emotionally draining. That is why-
If someone were to ask me, “would you move to Seattle today?” I would respond, “no, not today.”
I love the city, don’t get me wrong about that. The place I want to be right now, however, is Minneapolis.
What confirmed this was the night I got back to Minneapolis from my trip to Seattle. I unexpectedly stopped by my work for an event that was happening. Walking in, I was greeted by my neighbor and roommate. My roommate let out a scream when she saw me and gave me a tight hug. We were chatting for a few minutes, and then another friend came over to give me a hug and welcome me back. This continued as I saw more friends and neighbors. It was like I had been gone for a month. That night, I felt so loved and knew that this was my community. Hopefully, I will one day not have to vacation to Seattle. I just know for now that my home is Minneapolis. This is the place I belong.


No comments:
Post a Comment