Click the links below:
*Below is my December Source update.
Friends,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
I am currently reading Love Does by Bob Goff. He talks about how life is like that banquet. I agree and think it is one of the significant lessons I learned in 2014. Every day we have an invitation to the banquet table.
Goff says, "I
don't think God is the kind of guy who forces Himself on anybody
either. If people don't want to come to the banquet, He's not bitter or
anything. He loves them all the same, but He's not going
to force them. Instead, He just keeps looking. He keeps saying there's
more room to those who really want to be invited to where He is. He's
like any of us in that way. I think God pays attention to our hearts
and enjoys when people want to get close to Him. He knows our sadness
and the brokenness we want to hide from Him, and He sends people to
look for us."
This
last year, God continually told me that I was welcome to the table.
Some days I fully showed up and other times I would be halfheartedly
present. Fully
showing up means accepting an invitation to fully live. Even in my
regular routine of waking up, eating eggs and fruit, going to the office
hoping my coworker made coffee, participating in meetings, and then
going to a community meal, I can fully show up. It is appreciating the
life I have been given. Sometimes it is seeing the opportunities to
love or encourage someone. It also could mean intently listening to the
person who randomly knocks on the office door even when I have a lot of
work.
In
2014, there were days I did not fully engage in life. I distracted
myself with wanting more than I needed. Other days, I would refuse to
forgive. One day, I wanted to drop everything
because I was overwhelmed with work and did not have faith that God could
help. Not showing up means selfishness and pride come upon me. In the
days I did not fully show up, Jesus showed me grace.
I
also know in 2014 I saw many people at Source decide to fully show up
to the banquet table of life.This includes: Seeing a single mom be
fully present in the lives of her children even when it was hard.
Being there when a neighbor decided to fully commit her life to Jesus.
Two women spending one morning each month helping plan our banquet with
joyful attitudes. Listening to a man talk about his understanding of
sex trafficking in our city, wanting to be part of ending it. Watching
the woman from the Annex and her father be baptized
in the same lake they found her mother dead in. Seeing my boss give
grace to people multiple times after going back to old habits. Engaging
in an intentional conversation about race and justice with 20 people
who attend Source community dinners. Those are the days I celebrate.
Being at the banquet table of life means we get to do life with Jesus.
Goff
says, "Accepting the invitation to show up in life is about moving
from the bleachers to the field. It's moving from developing opinions
to developing options. It's about having things matter to us enough
that we stop just thinking about things and actually do something about
them."
Jesus continues to tell me there is more room at the table because I need to hear it every day. Jesus also says that to each of you and is inviting you by name. The banquet table of life always has more room. There will be tears. There will be doubts. But, there will also be adventure, chances to love people, eternal hope, rejuvenation, and better understanding of you who were created to be.
Thank you for participating in my life. Your prayers, financial support, encouraging words, and time do not go unnoticed. I have been beyond blessed in 2014 by many people.
I look forward to showing up to the banquet table in 2015.
Joy to you,
Jillian
No comments:
Post a Comment