Thursday, February 20, 2014

late night baking.

It is 11:26pm. 
Sitting on my kitchen floor,
I smell sweet bananas filling the air. 
My favorite place in my home is my kitchen.
People naturally gather here- around the table.
It is one of the most peaceful places for me.  
Tonight, I let thoughts of a busy day and things I forgot to do pass by. 
This place is a place of peace. 

...

Earlier this evening, my friends and I were chatting about what it would be like to open a bakery. I have always thought it would be fun, but I don't know if I could actually do it. It is moments like what I experienced these last 2 hours that I would not want to exchange for the chaos of opening a small business. Baking is one thing I do when I need to clear my mind. It allows me to be creative, but also have a definite ending. I know what will turn out when I put bananas, flour, vanilla, eggs, baking soda, and a handful of other ingredients together. Baking also allows me to try new things. It can challenge me when I have to figure out what I have to substitute a missing ingredient. The end product of baking is also great because it is food.

The word alive is something I have been thinking a lot about over the last 3 months. God continues to remind me that it is important to be doing things that make me feel alive. This year, I am going to focus on what brings me joy.

Baking and cooking in general is something that gives me life. More than that, however, it is what I do after I bake. I am able to share what I have made with people. Food always tastes better when you can enjoy it at a table with other people. Baking lends itself to be a wonderful way to gather people.

Being with people also makes me feel alive.

What makes you feel alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment