Sunday, July 28, 2013

Coming to terms with my friends moving

I was walking my friends to the door after a lovely afternoon of Greek food, a birthday doughnut to celebrate 22, a stroll around my neighborhood, and time of prayer. I did not want it to end. The fifteen steps from the living room to the door seemed longer than normal. My heart had been preparing for this moment, even though I have gone through this type of thing before. The gals put their shoes on and gathered their belongings.

One of them gave me a hug and everything seemed normal. 

While giving the other one a hug I purposefully said, "See ya later,"  to her. 

After a few more laughs and words, to prolong the ending, the moment arrived. I had to open the door for them to leave.

I took one last look as they walked outside and I said it again, "See ya later. I love you and will miss you." 

While closing the door, I stood in the hallway for a few moments processing what happened.

My friend is going to be in another country for almost an entire year. This is not the first time one of my friends has left the country or state for a long period of time. I have had five close sisters leave in the past year, some plan to return while others don't. That is why, "See ya later," has become more common in my vocabulary. Even with the use of technology, it still saddens me to see my friends walk out the door. Looking at a friend through a screen is nothing like sitting across from a friend at our favorite coffee shop or going with another one on an adventure in Minneapolis or sitting side by side praying with one.

Facing reality is not always fun. During the last year, I have had to come to terms with friends going away. I know they are shining the light of Christ all around the United States and even other countries; yet, there is part of me that is sad and even mad at times. Not mad at anyone, just at circumstances. After talking about this with my roommate, I've learned that grieving friendships that are changing (not ending) is a healthy thing. I typically have to take time to process what has happened. This is done through prayer, journaling, talking, and yes even crying. I also have asked God why people who are so precious to me keep leaving. In His grace, He has given me an answer:

I often have relied on people for my significance, comfort, and satisfaction. The Lord has shown me over time that I was not created to do this. I was created to find each of these from Him. God did create humans to be relational, but not to find our value from others. There are days that all I want is my sisters to move back or for me to hop on a plane and fly to them. As they are gone; however, I am learning to not have friendships be an idol.

Friends are going to continue to come and go from life. That is why I'm beginning to see the phrase "see ya later," as a blessing in disguise. It is definitely better than goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment