Monday, October 24, 2011

advice from a man with green suspenders, a worn out hat, and a carpenter's pencil.

This weekend I went to Source to help work on the Annex, the apartment building they are creating for women getting out of sex trafficking. As we were putting down plywood in one of the bedrooms, Ray, a man who reminds me of my grandpa (because of his age and carpentry knowledge) was helping us. He actually is one of the main people working on the apartment, volunteering his construction knowledge, energy, and time to making sure it is completed. What I appreciate about Ray is his green suspenders, his carpenter's pencil that is always behind his ear, his worn out hat, and some advice he gave me and the other people working on the plywood.

First, he said if you are going to do construction always have your thinking cap on. Any time his wife asks him a question, he makes sure to find his hat before he answers her. Then any problem can be solved. And he said to always have your carpenter's pencil and tape measure with you. These things are necessities to being a good carpenter.

Ray's second piece of advice was after one of the women helping asked him why he was volunteering his time to be a carpenter for the Annex. He said, "I have a lot knowledge about the Bible already and I want to live it out. There are too many people sitting in pews and not doing what Jesus commanded us to do." He explained how we are not called to just gain head knowledge. Then he talked about how Jesus was asked in Matthew 22:37-40 what the two greatest commandments are, and Jesus replied that it is to love God and love others. We must understand both of these and follow them. Ray wanted to love others and that is why he works at the Annex.

When Ray told us this, I was amazed at how simple his answer was. We are to love God and love other people. It is so easy to forget that (especially when going to a Christian school).

I challenge you and myself to focus on these two things this week. How can you love God? How can you love others? It will make a difference on their life and your own. And God will be glorified if you do these two things.

I also challenge you to find someone who is around the same age of your grandma or grandpa and talk with them this week. Ask them a question. You will be surprised at their answer. I am so thankful for older people who share their wisdom. They look at life differently and I want to learn more from them, especially the man with the green suspenders, a worn out hat, and a carpenter's pencil behind his ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment